[jboss-as7-dev] Fwd: Questions about the console for Socket Binding Groups

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 16:15:44 EST 2011

On 11/10/11 1:13 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> David, I am forwarding your questions to the dev list.
> @Brian: Some questions for you inline...
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> 1) Can the user create a new Socket Binding Group in a standalone
>> instance or in a domain? I can create new individual socket bindings,
>> but the drop-down menu for the binding group in teh console shows only
>> the main default group, and I can't see an "Add new socket binding
>> group" button or interface.
>
> not yet. I haven't actually thought about this.
> Brian, is it supported at all?

A server can only have have a single socket binding group. The domain
can have multiple socket binding groups so different server groups can
use different socket binding groups. But each server group (and
therefore each server in a managed domain) can only have a single group.

>> 2) Will the standalone instance be able to use multiple socket binding
>> groups at all? I tried to create extra <socket-binding-groups> like in
>> the domain configuration XML but the inclusion of additional groups
>> seem to breaks the server at runtime. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
>>

> Please create a Jira with the configuration attached.

This not supported.

>> 3) Are socket binding groups only for domain instances? I assumed a
>> developer could create multiple groups (in the XML, CLI or via
>> console) to have different presets for different development tests or
>> projects (which seems useful). Is this the intention?
>
> Brian?

That kind of usage wasn't the intention. To support that there would
need to be some sort of attribute on the socket binding group indicating
whether it's enabled. Only one could be enabled.

I suggest using system properties in the socket-binding elements to
alter the bindings for different scenarios.