[jboss-as7-dev] Access to public API jars from (remote) client applications

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Sun Nov 13 09:18:30 EST 2011

I'm writing up the documentation for invoking remote EJBs from a
(really) remote application like standalone Java applications. One of
the things that we have to decide about is how we want the users to
access some of our public API jars (I'm not calling this "client" jars
since one of the previous discussions around this suggested that it
would confuse things). Right now we don't have a way where users can
*easily* add these public API jars to their classpath. Some of the
requirements that I can think of are:

1) These jars must be available at a well known location within the AS
distribution. i.e. the users shouldn't have to drill down into
individual module path to find the jars.
2) The jar names shouldn't contain the version names (since that will
require changes to client scripts if some API jar version changes)
3) Modular environment on the client side is not a requirement. i.e. the
client application should just be able add these jars to their classpath
and use them
4) IDE and build tool requirements should be taken into account
separately. i.e. a "bom" or some other IDE specific way of getting
access to these API jars _shouldn't_ be the only way of referencing
these jars.
5) Identifying the public API jars

Thoughts? Is this something that we could target for 7.1 Beta1?

-Jaikiran