[jboss-as7-dev] How hard would it be to support key based auth by default to make life simpler and more secure ?

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 06:31:47 EST 2011

I'm not sure it is. If AS7 came with a script that could set up a username/password with a key, and also record that key locally in the users home directory, which IDEs, maven, forge etc. can pick up, that is a 3 step operation (1 step to run the script, 1 to enter username, 1 to enter a password). We can improve on this by assuming the username is the username of the logged in user, and the key to use is their .ssh key if it exists. This then becomes a 1 step operation for Linux users, probably still 2 steps for windows users.

Stuff then "just works" from then on, and we can take advantage of all the usual goodies like Mac Keychain, or whatever the equivalent is on Linux / Windows for storing passwords and unlocking keys.

To make a locked down AS as usable for newbies as without the lockdown is quite a lot of extra work I guess for the security system, as I just don't think username/password cuts it.

And David yes, we have EAP requirements for usability :-p