[jboss-as7-dev] How hard would it be to support key based auth by default to make life simpler and more secure ?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 08:42:33 EST 2011

You could just have the app-server automatically generate the keys for
you the first time it ever boots (or even every boot cycle).  Just have
the CLI look at a pre-defined directory for the generated key-pair.  THe
idea here is that CLI works perfectly out-of-the-box with no config on
the same machine as the CLI runs on.  What is still protected is a
remote machine accessing the app-server.  This is fine, IMO.

Usability problems still exist though as you would need to import the
client-auth key into your browser.  But, maybe this is a good thing as
it will require the user to think about how they want to secure the
app-server.

>>> You would need a key-based SASL authentication mechanism.  There are no
>>> standard ones as of right now.  If you know of a key-based SASL
>>> mechanism that you think we should support, let me know and we'll
>>> evaluate it.
>>
>> We would have to do noauth + SSL + trust. I think it's an option worth considering. The big problem though is that we have to have a setup process to generate the certs, which is greater complexity than the user/pass option. We would have to generate a host key pair and a client key pair.
>

> I'm not an expert on these things at all but eclipse uses http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/ to manage and create ssh keys and uses the standard .ssh location's etc.
>
> Is something additional needed ?
>
> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen