[jboss-as7-dev] How hard would it be to support key based auth by default to make life simpler and more secure ?

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 09:53:38 EST 2011

It's something I thought about, we would have to make up a bunch of
stuff in the CERT (not a big deal I guess). Although the thing I worry
about is that cert generation requires gathering a major amount of
entropy from /dev/random. It would seriously affect boot time, and it
would potentially pause for a long period to gather more entropy. This
is a problem for headless devices for example, that don't have a
keyboard and mouse connected to them.

> It would need to be SSL not SSH as we need to support the mechanism for
> both the Native interface and the HTTP interface but I am starting to
> like this as an out of the box scenario.
>
> The advantage we have for the browser is we can always display a nice
> HTML page when they connect with full instructions, it is the other
> mechanisms where we have less opportunity to dynamically provide guidance.
>
> On 11/14/2011 01:42 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
>> You could just have the app-server automatically generate the keys for
>> you the first time it ever boots (or even every boot cycle).  Just have
>> the CLI look at a pre-defined directory for the generated key-pair.  THe
>> idea here is that CLI works perfectly out-of-the-box with no config on
>> the same machine as the CLI runs on.  What is still protected is a
>> remote machine accessing the app-server.  This is fine, IMO.
>>
>> Usability problems still exist though as you would need to import the
>> client-auth key into your browser.  But, maybe this is a good thing as
>> it will require the user to think about how they want to secure the
>> app-server.

>>> I'm not an expert on these things at all but eclipse uses http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/ to manage and create ssh keys and uses the standard .ssh location's etc.
>>>
>>> Is something additional needed ?
>>>
>>> /max