[jboss-as7-dev] Moving EJB3 code into the AS7 source tree

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 10:43:50 EDT 2011

On Thursday 01 September 2011 08:00 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
> On 9/1/11 9:03 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>>>
>>> I meant generic time manipulation logic, not the entire ejb3 timer
>>> service implementation, which encompasses much more than that.
>>>
>> Yeah, I meant the same too :) The time manipulation library was a
>> separate maven project/library. I think it makes sense to let it stay
>> independent and be outside of AS and let the rest of the timerservice
>> logic stay in AS.
>
> You mean this
> https://github.com/jbossejb3/jboss-ejb3-timerservice/tree/master/ejb31-calendar-expr-parser
> ?

Yes, that's the one. The ejb31-calendar-expr-parser library is mainly
for parsing the cron style schedule expressions. At the time, during AS6
days, when I started working on timerservice, I couldn't find any
existing reusable projects which addressed this (without having to pull
in on a whole set of other unnecessary timer style functionalities), so
I just came up with this new independent one. It needs some
documentation, a bit of improvement,and a bit of cleanup but from a
functionality point of view it works.

> That's reasonable. Although I was more thinking of common routines
> that do date math with Calendar. I mean the hairy part of this is
> caused by the fact that Calendar is a bad API and so difficult to use,
> and easy to screw up. Such a module would have potential reusability
> across other projects.

I agree about the Calendar API.
> Another possibility is exploring the idea of using JODA.
Yes, that's a good idea. We could make use of JODA within our parser
library instead of the Calendar API.

-Jaikiran