[jboss-as7-dev] Securing Attributes including passwords

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 17:07:45 EDT 2011

On 9/1/11 2:11 PM, Anil Saldhana wrote:
> Brian,
> I want to make it clear that when I meant attribute, it is not referring
> to xml attribute.  But more like a property of a bean or POJO or such. A
> password is one such attribute. :)

Yeah, we're on the same page. When I talk about an attribute I mean
what's described in the "Attributes" section of
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/Management+resources

> Two potentials:
> 1) I envision an xml attribute vaultRef="vaultBlock_attributeName"  to
> the xml element which indicates the value should be obtained from the
> vault.

Ok, this then becomes a choice, between a vaultRef attribute or a
non-vault attribute, e.g. a password="". (I'm assuming here we don't
force the use of a vault.) The model stores both attributes, but only
one is defined. That works and is simple; only downside is it limits use
of the vault to elements we specifically code support for; it's not
generic. That's probably fine.

> 2) XML attribute says secure="true"  and the text value of the element
> gives the "vaultBlock_attributeName"  The presence of secure xml
> attribute indicates that we need to get the value from the vault.

I much prefer the other. In the model we need to store 2 pieces of
information, "secure" and, say, "password". The meaning of the 2nd
varies depending on the value of the first, and limits the usage of this
pattern to string attributes.

I think for the actual use case your 1) above is better than what I was
talking about in my last post, since yours follows the KISS principle.
But to clarify a bit what I meant:

<some-element password="${vaultBlock_attributeName}" ...>

Only one attribute.

The parser recognizes that syntax and stores the value in a ModelNode of
type ModelType.EXPRESSION, instead of ModelType.STRING.[1] The metadata
for the attribute declares that an expression is allowed for the
attribute. When a client reads the model they get back a node of
ModelType.EXPRESSION, which tells the client the value is some sort of
unresolved key, not the ultimate value. The client already has to be
able to deal with this kind of thing since we use it for system-property
substitution. On the server side any code working with that model node
can pass it off to a standard method (probably in the OperationContext)
that can see it's ModelType.EXPRESSION and resolve it against the vault.
All of this is generic so it can easily be applied to any attribute.

[1] See
org.jboss.as.controller.parsing.ParseUtils.parsePossibleExpression(String value)