[jboss-as7-dev] Limiting Server Thread Usage

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 05:15:09 EDT 2011

I'll illustrate how inverting the pool complements the big thread pool.

On 09/16/2011 08:35 AM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
> What about if we had 1 underlying thread pool that provides all the threads, and then subsystems use a custom executor that provides a 'view' of this underlying thread pool.

+1. We need this to guard the total number of threads.
> So for instance we have the main thread pool that has a max of 25 threads, we could then give the EJB remote invocation pool is then given an executor that can use a maximum of 10 threads from the pool.

If we just stick to EJB, this means that those 10 (or more) threads
become an extremely precious resource. Any time one of these threads
blocks we're wasting precious cycles. So instead of blocking for
resources to become available we should only pick up a request that can
proceed without blocking. Further more we should prioritize jobs that
require lesser work, this is called 'maximum throughput scheduling'.
Note that there are more criteria (like max wait time, queue size etc)
that need to be worked in, but that should be expressible in a formula
the drives a 'priority queue'.
> This would also allow you to give these executors a priority, so for example you could give the web subsystem thread pool a higher priority to make sure that web requests always get handled first.

We should not put a maximum on a 'subsystem' pool, because that would
not allow it to fully utilize the total pool if the others are idle.
Better to leave a minimum on hot standby.

Carlo