[jboss-as7-dev] transaction integration

Jonathan Halliday jonathan.halliday at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 08:44:13 EDT 2011

The AS management model is not intended to support all the JTS (or other
parts of JBossTS) config options. There are over 100 of them in TS as a
whole. Only the most commonly used ones are exposed. For the others
there needs to be a general mechanism per AS7-1496.

AS7-1481, AS7-1494, AS7-1482, AS7-1491, AS7-1492 and AS7-1497 all need
attention and should probably be assigned to the AS team. I've no idea
how I wound up as the default assignee for an AS module when I'm not
even on the AS team. Lack of better options at the time I guess.

Jonathan.

On 09/16/2011 06:50 AM, Stefano Maestri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How things are going on these tasks?
> While you and david will go on with requirement and design I can take
> care of AS7 management model for tx subsystem, going through and
> cleaning it a bit.
> I have also to check if mgmt model is full supporting all the JTS config
> parameters. Maybe I'll ping you on this argument.
> Have you already created any Jiras about these arguments I should take
> over or just link? In case you haven't I'll create some to track my work.
>
> let me know if you have any concerns
>
> regards
> S.
> On 08/10/2011 02:43 PM, Jonathan Halliday wrote:
>> I've recently created a bunch of JIRAs for the simpler bits of the
>> transaction integration work. However, there are some design issues that
>> need discussion before the work can be codified into JIRAs...
>>
>> First up, distributed transactions. By that I mean ones involving
>> business logic in more that one JVM. The simpler case of 'distributed'
>> in the multiple resource manager sense already more or less works.
>>
>> The transaction system can run in two modes - jta, which does not
>> support transactions spanning multiple jvms, or jts, which does.
>>
>> Right now the AS decides which mode to boot depending on the presence of
>> an ORB, since that is used as the transport for distributed transaction
>> coordination.  This is itself potentially a problem, since it's possible
>> that a user wants the ORB for non-transaction use only and does not want
>> to  pay the performance penalty for running jts mode transactions that
>> never actually leave the local jvm.  Even for local use the jts is
>> substantially slower than jta. So, you may want to consider allowing the
>> currently automated jta/jts choice to be overridden by the user. Another
>> interesting possibility is to use the module system to run two isolated
>> copies of the transaciton engine, one in jta and one in jts mode, then
>> allow applications to determine which they want and bind the JNDI
>> lookups accordingly. But I digress.
>>
>> There is an interdependency between the ORB and the transaction system,
>> in that the ORB runs a set of iniializers at startup and when the jts is
>> enabled these must include the jts service inializers. However, the
>> transaction system depends on the ORB...  (AS7-1494)
>>
>> Assuming the user does require distributed transactions and the server
>> is running magically running with the jts enabled, we come to the
>> problem of distributed transaction boundary demarcation and context
>> propagation.
>>
>> Whilst the transaction control traffic always runs over CORBA, the
>> business logic, typically EJB calls, may not.  As far as I can tell
>> there is as yet no spec or documentation on what we intend to support
>> here or how tx context propagation and inflow is intended to work.
>>
>> There is also the question of the extent to which we'll support tx use
> [...]

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)