[jboss-as7-dev] module mess Re: security APIs/SPIs really need a redesign

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Sep 23 09:55:18 EDT 2011

On 9/23/11 8:44 AM, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 9/22/11 7:13 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> On 09/22/2011 05:56 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>> Also plugging in your own authentication mechanism in AS7 is crap too,
>>> specially, modules are a mess.  Unless you fixed some things in the last
>>> month.  But thats another conversation I want to have.
>>
>> Bring it ;)
>>

> I think I've already talked about it in the past.  If you want to extend
> JBoss at all (i.e. a security plugin) you have to hack the modules/
> directory so that classes are visible.  Since you've pretty much
> isolated applications from app-server classloaders, I'll put $100 down
> that this issue exists for other extension points as well.

Yeah that is completely wrong.

I'm doing some management related fixes to the security subsystem and I
am going to add a module attribute similar to the way the other
extensibility mechanisms work (module="org.foo.mymodule"
class="blahplugin"). JDBC drivers are also allowed to be deployables and
we could do something similar with security plugins, although that will
require more involved changes to picketlink/box.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect