[jboss-as7-dev] Security Subsystem Configuration Problems

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu Sep 29 00:39:36 EDT 2011

I have been looking into updating the security subsystem to comply
properly with the management operation/interaction conventions, notably:

1. All attributes are writable
2. All operations and attributes have complete and correct descriptions
3. Resources are used in preference to custom attributes
4. Reasonable validation is performed

I also wanted to fix the plug point for custom login modules.

Digging into this though I found that this subsystem isn't complying
with the overall Andiamo goal of only exposing things that the user
cares about, and is safe to touch.

Pretty much all of the previously exiting wiring is exposed in the
domain model. So like for example you can change the
AuthenicationManager, TrustManager, CallBackHandler, AuditManager, and
MappingManager.

Do we really want to expose these things? Are customers/users actually
using these hooks? If so, is there better alternatives? As an example,
if you replace the authentication manager, which is essentially the
entire implementation of picketbox authentication, then the remaining
configuration of the security domain might not even be handled properly.

I'd love to get this resolved, but in the meantime I am going to make
this stuff be properties. That way we can at least avoid having to
support it forever.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect