[jboss-as7-dev] deployment options

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 16:16:48 EDT 2012

There's nothing not production-worthy about using the deployment scanner
and our docs shouldn't imply it's not ready for production use.

What the scanner is is a task that periodically runs and monitors a
filesystem dir for changes. When it detects changes it invokes
operations against the server management API to trigger content upload
and deployment. It invokes the same operations that can be invoked quite
directly via the CLI or a bit less directly with a GUI via the console.

The CLI can be used to accomplish the same thing, and with the advantage
that the operation is synchronous -- the command is invoked and the
result is known when the command returns. The command can be executed by
a human and the result read, or it can be scripted with the script
checking the result. Contrast this with copying a file into the
deployments dir, waiting some semi-random period of time until the next
scanner run, and then trying to figure out what happened from looking at
logs or the marker files in the deployments/ dir.

In short, using the scanner can be more convenient and has less of a
learning curve, since copying a file to a dir is trivial for anyone,
while using the CLI makes it easy to have greater control. Typically the
"convenience and low learning curve" aspect is more important in a
developer environment, but that doesn't mean people won't prefer the
scanner in a production environment.

An important thing to realize with the scanner though is if you use the
scanner, your API for managing those deployments becomes the OS's
filesystem API. Users shouldn't try to then manipulate the deployments
via the CLI or console. The web console isn't going to let you update or
remove the deployments -- you need to manipulate the deployments/ dir.