[jboss-as7-dev] NPE in POST_MODULE processors

Neubauer. Rico R.Neubauer at seeburger.de
Fri Aug 17 04:01:30 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Monitoring this discussion for a while now and wanted to share my experience as a software integrator from the user perspective - based on JBoss 7.1.1.FINAL and 7.1.2.EAP.
Some figures: We have a quite complex system, consisting of currently 243 OSGi-bundles, 60 enterprise bundles (mostly EARs, some WARs and SARs) and about 5 JBoss-modules with heavy dependency relations between them. Especially we have EARs depending upon bundles, as well as bundles accessing enterprise functionalities.

In the meantime, after having resolved a bunch of issues , we are quite happy with the OSGi-deployment. This is true for 7.1.1, not yet for 7.1.2 (Thomas maybe you remember me reporting a bunch of bugs on that version). Deployment of OSGi-bundles works fine, all get activated correctly and all their dependencies get resolved.
However the deployment of the enterprise archives gave us head-aches and currently is only possible by a workaround for us. The problem is that the enterprise archives DO need to be deployed in the correct order, or they will fail due to missing dependencies, which then gets not resolved in the end. The way we are actually doing this is to start-up with deployment attribute enabled="false" for the enterprise deployments and then handle their activation on our own during runtime after the OSGi-container finished its deployment.
So to sum it up:
- Am I satisfied with OSGi-bundle-deployment? Yes.
- Am I satisfied with how the overall app-server starts up with all its sub-systems and deployments: Not at all.

So I encourage you to have a look into the integration of the sub-systems, so they work together in seamless and predictable a way, I think this is what an app-server user expects.
One personal word regarding the short discussion about "should we take out the OSGI-container of the default profile": From my pov, this will not solve anything. From my experience major vendors (also us) going into OSGi's direction, so this is sth. that will definitely need to get supported by a recent app-server.

Best Regards,
Rico Neubauer (JBoss forum screen name MrEasy)