[jboss-as7-dev] Changed arguments…can we do better ? :P

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 06:38:44 EST 2012

Hey,

Going over the AS7.1 server and how startup arguments has changed we noticed besides the -logmodule not being needed
the following two was added:

 -Djboss.modules.system.pkgs=org.jboss.byteman -Djava.awt.headless=true

Does the -Djava.awt.headless=true have any function besides maybe give a few milliseconds faster startup ?
(asking since this prevents you to launch (for debugging purposes) hsqldb admin and other swing based "inspection" tools)

And last I asked about adding jboss.modules.system.pkgs= arguments to better support common tools that uses java agents such as JProfiler, yourkit, byteman and others
it was said we shouldn't add these specific ones since then we were choosing one over the other ;)

Any reason why byte man gets added and not the others ?

And couldn't we solve this in a better way by having jboss modules look for a property file to pick these up instead of command line arguments ?
i.e. anything found in <cwd>/jboss-modules.properties is added to system properties before it starts loading its actual module + treat jboss.modules.arguments as additional arguments ?

Can't remove the need for  -Djava.awt.headless but would remove need for many of the other custom settings.

I can submit a patch that does this if interested.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen