[jboss-as7-dev] IMPORTANT!: I NEED FINALS LIST

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 04:00:00 EST 2012

On 02/04/2012 07:29 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 02/04/2012 04:52 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
>>>>
>>> Branch https://github.com/wolfc/metadata/tree/dependencies is waiting on:
>>> - jboss-logging
>> Upgraded to 3.1.0.GA.
>>
>>> - https://github.com/jboss/jboss-ejb-api_spec/pull/1
>> I see it has been merged, but rolled back.
>> What is the issue here?
>> (Note that it can be viewed as a regression from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1.)
> It can also be viewed as not a regression.  These dependencies should be
> provided as they are only required if you actually reference those
> classes.  Compile scope dependencies should only be used in APIs when
> the API is completely unusable without the dependency.

It is a known deficiency on the EG that EJB API has dependencies on JTA
API and JAX-RPC API.
Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to change that.

I think we should not make it any harder on consumers of the EJB API,
because having the JTA API or JAX-RPC API through EJB API should not
imply those functions are available.
In fact the EJB container is obliged to have JAX-RPC API available even
in lite mode, because else you would run into a problem with
SessionContext.getMessageContext. The method itself however will throw
an IllegalStateException.
In other words having EJB API provided, implies JTA API and JAX-RPC API
are provided as well.

Carlo