[jboss-as7-dev] System property replacement in deployment descriptors

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 11:03:12 EST 2012

Oleg, sorry about the late response.

Currently in AS7 we have xml parsing happening within the AS7 code base
for the following xmls:

1) The standalone*.xml/domain*.xml
2) The jboss-deployment-structure.xml
3) The jboss-ejb-client.xml
4) The jboss-pojo xml
5) The jboss-service.xml

and probably a few others. Then we have parsers in other projects
outside of AS7 codebase which deal with (for example):

1) The spec specified EE descriptors like ejb-jar.xml, web.xml,
application.xml
2) JBoss specific (EE) deployment descriptors for the deployments like
jboss-web.xml, jboss-app.xml, jboss-ejb3.xml

These have their own set of parsers.

So obviously trying to _share_ the same system property replacement
logic utility class, between these projects isn't going to work out. And
since it's just going to be one since class which is going to parse and
replace the system property, I think we should just create it in the AS7
code base and let the parsers in the AS7 code base use that (whichever
parser wants it). The other projects (like jboss-metadata) can use their
own (actually we just added one sometime back to support system property
replacement for "distinct-name" element in the JBoss specific EE
descriptors).

By the way, the DMR project has a class which handles this property
replacement (in that project). You might want to borrow that relevant
code
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-dmr/blob/master/src/main/java/org/jboss/dmr/ExpressionValue.java#L110.

-Jaikiran