[jboss-as7-dev] JAF (javax.activation) dependency removal

Tomaz Cerar tcerar at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 11:20:43 EST 2012

On 15.2.2012 17:10, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> On 12-02-15 10:58 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am writing this as there has been some discussion on internal mailing
>> list and David has pointed out that it should be discussed publicly.
>>
>> JAF is part of JDK since version 6, so question is if we should remove
>> javax.activation dependency and javax.activation module from AS?
>> There are still some other dependencies(mail,javax.bind,xml
>> registry,...) that still use activation as its dependency.
>> I have verified that AS work correctly if javax.activation module is
>> removed and some other configuration changes applied so question is if
>> we want to this or not?
>>
>> As David pointed out on my pull request
>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/1527#issuecomment-3973535 this
>> ties us more to JDK and prevents us from doing any local modification to
>> activation.jar.
> A question:  for our modified activation to take over, it would need to
> be in endorsed dir, right?
not necessary as jboss modules determinate what classes are loaded an
what not. In this case path javax/activation is not part of javax.api
module, so to make use of jdk's activation you have to modify javax.api
module or if you don't do that it won't find it on class path unless you
also depend to javax.activation module.