[jboss-as7-dev] NPE in jacorb

Stefan Guilhen sguilhen at redhat.com
Fri Feb 24 11:06:35 EST 2012

Yea, this is a hard one to reproduce. After inspecting the JacORB code I
think I know where the problem is. I'll change the CorbaPOAService so
that only the RootPOA is destroyed (it will destroy all child POAs in
the process).

Calling destroy on all POAs as we are doing now can lead to a race
condition where a child POA can remove itself from the parent POA while
the parent POA is iterating through its children to destroy them.
Iterating through an Enumeration, like JacORB does in this case, is not
fail fast and the above scenario will lead to the NPE that is randomly seen.

Cheers,
Stefan