[jboss-as7-dev] Modeling Management Objects (was: birth of "console ui" in eclipse)

Rob Cernich rcernich at redhat.com
Wed Feb 29 13:32:56 EST 2012

> >> That said, there is a lot of mileage to be gained by simply being
> >> able to use the AutoBean framework within Eclipse.  Does anyone
> >> have any experience using AutoBeans in an Eclipse or OSGi
> >> environment?  (In SY land, we're slowly moving to a place where
> >> our core management/configuration model API can be used in the
> >> tooling as well.)
>
> Oh and this is even worse now I reread it - having *hard coupled*
> dependencies to core from eclipse plugins is our biggest problem we
> have in Drools, Teiid and Modeshape.
>
> This causes *massive* problems from both user and plugin-dev side
> since each release of the plugin extremely easy becomes tied to
> specific versions of the runtime.
>
> Does the API allow decoupling ? (i.e. one option is the plugin to
> load dynamically the runtime jars from the targeted runtime)

See my previous response.  The real problem is the stability of those APIs.  No amount of decoupling allows you to instantly see new features or retract removed features, unless you're putting together a dynamic GUI, which is then limited in its usability (e.g. generic JMX consoles, generic WS testers, etc.; they get the job done, they adapt nicely, but they aren't very pretty).

Best,
Rob