[jboss-as7-dev] Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

James Perkins jperkins at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 12:40:28 EST 2012

FWIW, I wouldn't worry too much about changing the id's at this point.
We don't, AFAIK, haven them documented anywhere and I know I have
changed some as needed.

That said, we should probably make a stop point when message id's can be
changed. Maybe after 7.1 is released as most subsystems should be
complete by then.

On 01/25/2012 11:24 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
> This relates to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3454 where Carlo
> noticed that in the EJB subsystem (and perhaps in some other subsystem
> too) we exceed the numeric range for logging ids listed here
> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds. I see a couple of problems
> here:
>
> 1) The fact that we are already having almost more than 200 message ids
> for EJB subsystem alone makes it look like a bit too much IMO. Looking
> at many of those messages, they are sometimes related to invalid
> arguments being passed to methods and we throwing
> IllegalArgumentException with a specific message id. Unfortunately, this
> appears to be repeated many times with different ids with a different
> message instead of just having a common id/message (perhaps across
> subsystems).
>
> 2) There are some unused message ids (left around after some refactoring
> of code and no longer relevant). Is it too late to clean this up now? I
> mean, obviously using an existing message id for a new log message
> instead of what it represented earlier isn't a good idea after a catalog
> of message ids has been published. But as of now, we don't have such a
> catalog published anywhere. So should I go ahead and cleanup some of
> these unused message ids?
>
> 3) How do I go about this specific issue? Use a new range for more EJB
> messages? So we would end up with some EJB messages in the range
> 14100-14399 and some others in 19100-19399 (an example). Is that
> multiple set of ranges for a subsystem a good thing? What happens the
> next time we exhaust this range? The other option I see is that there
> are some unused message ids between 14143 and 14300. I can refactor the
> existing messages (which are falling outside the allocated range) to use
> the unused ids, but then it depends on what we decide about #2 above
> (i.e. some of the 143xx ids that were used earlier will no longer we
> relevant).
>
> -Jaikiran

James R. Perkins