[jboss-as7-dev] Logging Subsystem Changes

James Perkins jperkins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 11:50:17 EST 2012

On 11/27/2012 07:11 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
> A couple of things that I'm wondering about the logging.properties
> related changes are:
>
> 1) Until now, I don't think many users are even aware that there's a
> logging.properties being used and for them the logging subsystem is the
> sole representation of the logging configurations. I know the
> documentation[1] does talk about the logging.properties, but I still
> don't think many users are concerned/aware about it. I might not have
> understood the full implications of the changes yet, but it looks like
> we are exposing the presence of the logging.properties to the users
> which can have very confusing results. For example, if the logging
> subsystem is configured to have an appender which logs to ${foo}/bar.log
> then:
>
>       a) During first run the user starts the server with
> -Dfoo=/home/run1 then the logs correctly get written out to
> /home/run1/bar.log
>       b) User restarts the server, this time with -Dfoo=/home/run2 then
> the *initial few logs* till logging subsystem kicks in, will be written
> out to /home/run1/bar.log and then the rest of the logs to
> /home/run2/bar.log? Did I understand this correctly?
That is correct. I'm not sure how often that does happen, but it will be
an issue.

> 2) Why are we overwriting the logging.properties with logging subsystem
> configurations? Or more precisely, isn't the logging.properties and the
> logging subsystem configurations meant for 2 different things?Further to
> this, are we writing out all the information available in the logging
> subsystem to the logging.properties - like the various user configured
> appenders and even logging profiles?
We're overriding to so the switch between the logging.properties
configuration and the logging subsystem is much more seamless. I
actually think it *could* make the user care less about the
logging.properties file.

No, logging profiles only work when the logging subsystem is running.
They're only used for deployments, which are started after the logging
subsystem.

> [1]
> https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS71/Admin+Guide#AdminGuide-Logging
>
> -Jaikiran