[jboss-as7-dev] bundles as modules?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Apr 16 09:18:10 EDT 2013

On 4/16/2013 9:07 AM, Thomas Diesler wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2013, at 2:56 PM, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com
> <mailto:bburke at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to make a AS distribution that has no jars.  Instead,
>> metadata points to a maven repository location for those jars.  I've
>> patched Jboss Modules to make this work, but have no solution for OSGi.
>
> This may relate to the Provisioner service
> <http://community.jboss.org/wiki/ProvisionerServiceAndFeatureDeployment> topic.
> We already have a component that understands Maven coordinates and can
> provide named resources. If you are thinking of a special ModuleLoader
> that can fetch modules on demand then this loader should preferably
> simply call the Repository IMHO. In the near future it could call the
> Provisioner service with the top level Requirements.

Here's my pull request.

https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-modules/pull/28

With this patch, only jar you need to boot jboss is jboss-modules.jar.
It will optionally download (or look in local maven repository) for any
other required jars.  I've written a bunch of long emails why this
feature is interesting, I could forward them if you're interested.

I don't see why we'd want an AS dependency on some OSGi service.  The
idea of only needing one *local* jar to boot AS is much more appealing, IMO.

>> David Lloyd said he didn't understand why your bundles weren't
>> deployed as modules.  I don't know what that means either, but that's
>> what he said.
>
> Don't what this means either ;-) but I regularly talk with him so I can
> probably find out

Maybe that the OSGi layer delegates to JBoss Modules to resolve
classloader dependencies?  That would make sense...
--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat