[jboss-as7-dev] Add Notification support to the domain management API

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 17:42:26 EST 2013

Just some basic categories of use cases:

1) Internal to the server. See usage of ControlledProcessStateService
for an example. It's essentially a notification emitter for a couple
specific management events.

A lot of internal to the server use cases though might be better done
with services though. For example, say a service injects a
SocketBindingService to learn it's socket configuration during start.
Then that service wants to listen for notifications of changes to the
socket binding config. Is it better off listening for messages from a
generic notification mechanism, or should the SocketBindingService
itself generate events?

2) Support for remote notifications is important. Perhaps more value in
this than in a generic internal mechanism. The notification mechanism
becomes an standard means via which changes internal to the server (or
group of servers) can be communicated to management tools.

In a domain, a host has joined/left. A server has been started stopped.
Cluster topology changes at the JGroups or Infinispan levels.

3) I can see making use of the facilities for 2) in the domain
management layer itself. For example, the DOMAIN_PING request (JGroups
discovery protocol based on asking the domain for information on
available peers) could use management notifications to propagate the
necessary data.