[jboss-as7-dev] Creating a Web Common Module

Stuart Douglas stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:54:11 EST 2013

Hi Guys,

Now that AS8 is starting I would like to move some classes out of the
web module, and into a web-common module, to allow subsystems to
integration with the web container without a direct dependency on the
web subsystem, the eventual goal being to support multiple web servers.

The changes I am proposing are in my web-common brach, and they are not
100% complete yet (In particular they do not address web services or
OSGI yet, as these rely on internal JBoss Web classes):

https://github.com/stuartwdouglas/jboss-as/compare/web-common

The main problem that I can see with this approach is that it moves the
WarMetaData class, which 3rd party extensions may be relying on. Given
that AS8 is a planned major release and will probably contain quite a
lot of breaking changes from an extension point of view, I don't think
this is a huge problem.

Thoughts?

Stuart