[jboss-as7-dev] AS 8 i18n Loggers and Message Bundles

James R. Perkins jperkins at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 10:21:16 EST 2013

On 02/26/2013 06:17 AM, Scott Marlow wrote:
> On 02/25/2013 08:49 PM, James R. Perkins wrote:
>> I've been thinking for a while now of creating a separate module for all
>> i18n loggers and message bundles. There are a few advantages to this;
>>
>>  1. To update translations you only need to build and deploy one module.
>>     This could possibly be used to limit the languages shipped too, e.g.
>>     a customer only wants English and Spanish no need to ship German,
>>     Chinese, Japanese and Brazilian Portuguese as well.
>>  2. Allow generic messages, e.g. "parameter_name is null", to be reused.
>>     I know support doesn't like the reuse, but it seems silly to have 50
>>     different methods that all the same thing that translators have to
>>     translate 50 times.
>>  3. Help stop messages id conflicts. I am going to use a new annotation
>>     to help with this too.
>>
>> The only real disadvantage I can think of is every module will have a
>> dependency on it. Also we would have be to strict about not letting
>> anything except loggers and message bundles be added to the module just
>> because it's shared across all modules.
>
> Different projects have their own messages, so it would be good to
> also allow for multiple bundles.
>
> Within the AS project, I'd rather not have one big message bundle that
> everyone is merging changes to.  IMO, it would be fine to group some
> of the bundles together (based on a logical grouping).
Sorry, should have been more clear. The idea would be to keep each
modules own logger/message bundle, but just have them all in a central
location. This doesn't include all the LocalDescription resource
bundles. Those should stay where they are as they don't require a build
to change any translations.

>> Just wanted to open it up for discussion in case there is something I'm
>> missing before I open a JIRA for it.
>>
>> --
>> James R. Perkins
>> JBoss by Red Hat