[jboss-as7-dev] Removing JAXR & backward compatiblity

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 10:22:35 EST 2013

On 02/28/2013 05:57 AM, Thomas Diesler wrote:
> Folks,
>
> related to
>
> * [AS7-6612 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-6612>] Remove JAXR support
>
> I'd like to know whether we need to preserve backward compatibility of
> the configuration and if so what should happen if there is a jaxr config
> item? Generally, can AS8 break backward compatibility with respect to
> the config?

Brian points out that we don't have a specific requirement to maintain
compatibility with obsolete subsystems.  I think we could go ahead with
the removal (granted part of the reason I feel this way is that I've
already removed JSR-88...).

Going forward though Kabir suggested that if we do want to, say, allow
7.x instances to be managed from an 8.x DC, that we should create "stub"
extensions for the removed stuff that only carry and validate
configuration but aren't actually supported on 8.x servers.  This seems
like a valid possibility to me.
--
- DML