[jboss-as7-dev] On security context and propagation

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 17:53:05 EST 2013

I think it's fair to say that a security token could be counted as a
"credential".  That's what I was envisioning for EJB remote invocation
in any case.  As long as the credential type is public you can easily
access them using the typed get*Credentials() methods on Subject; same
for typed Principals.  It seems to me that roles could just as well be
Principals as well (in fact I think they are already modeled this way,
at least in some places), and so if they're mapped on to the Subject and
we use Subject.doAs to implement run-as, then isCallerInRole could be as
easy as Subject.getPrincipals().contians(xx) - though I would have to
read the code again to ensure that there aren't any security issues
there (shouldn't be as long as the Subject is read-only).

For JAAS I am not condoning using it beyond its capabilities, but with
(for example) EJB remote auth, the API would end up looking really a lot
like LoginContext anyway from our design discussions in Brno.  If the
API fits, might as well use it.

I think to round out Subject as a uniform security context, regardless
of whether we end up using ACC to propagate it, we need to better define
how different types of credentials and tokens are (or are not) cached in
it, and how they are accessed.  Existing use cases and examples are
invaluable here.

--
- DML