[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss ESB] - Re: Registry Design

mark.little@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Sep 5 06:09:10 EDT 2006

"Kevin.Conner at jboss.com" wrote : Good, I'm glad that's clear :-)

  | It may be that I have misunderstood the discussion but my concerns were the following
  |  - talk of defining the interface in SOAP and embedding in a servlet container
  |  - talk of clustering facades for non clustered implementations
  |
  | While both of these may be important from an implementation and deployment perspective, neither is relevant to the service interface being defined.
  |
  | The priority for now is to work out the requirements for this interface and, while we should keep the implementation details in mind, these details should not distract us from the specification of the interface.

Agreed. Talking about SOAP and clustering is immediately taking us down the implementation route. Although they are relevant to the topic (Registry Design), I think it would be easier if we tried to keep each topic narrowly focussed. We already had a discussion around the API, http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=81236 where we agreed to use JAX-R.

We shouldn't be thinking about implementing a registry at this stage: believe me, it'll take more time than we have available to us for the first GA. Plus, it's a product/project in its own right (there are several companies whose sole reason to exist is to sell a registry). Where I think we should be going with this is: given we'll use JAX-R for now, what does that mean for the ESB? What JAX-R implementations are out there that we can use? Do we have to implement our own JAX-R system (hopefully not). Assuming we have JAX-R support, what existing registry implementations can be tied into it?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3969415#3969415

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3969415