[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss Remoting, Unified Invokers] - Re: Wire Versioning at the Application-level Needed

tom.elrod@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Sep 18 09:41:29 EDT 2006

Is already possible for application developers to control addition of fields within Objects by using Externalizable where can control how different fields are built when deserialized.  For example, remoting's Client class does this (http://viewcvs.labs.jboss.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/JBossRemoting/src/main/org/jboss/remoting/Client.java?rev=1.48&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup).

IMO, is better to leave this type of object field resolution to the app developers since remoting won't have any insight to any rules that may apply to these fields.  For example, for the Person example, the app code may automatically send out a happy birthday e-mail to the Person on their birthday.  The best remoting could do is just set this field to the current date, which would cause the Person to get send the birthday e-mail on the wrong date.

I guess JBoss Serialization project could be enhanced to allow for special behavior for filling in these fields, but still need some interaction from the original developer of the class to be useful IMO.

Just my 2 cents.  Maybe others have different view.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3972311#3972311

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3972311