[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss jBPM] - process patch files

tom.baeyens@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jun 8 04:18:45 EDT 2007

the jboss deployer thread made me think about process patches.

sometimes people just want to patch a process instead of redeploying.  i have always been against this as it will be very hard to know for users, what the implications are of their updates.  in some cases there will be no problems, but in many cases people need to know the jpdl implementation to see all the implications of a process update.

so for this reason, i'm still very skeptical about process updates.

but nevertheless, for production process updates, process updates might be necessary.

what would you think about a new file xml schema for process updates ?

<process-update>

  |   <!-- just some ideas: -->
  |
  |   <node name="">
  |     ... this node will be parsed in the context
  |         of the existing process combined with these
  |         updates and replaces the existing node...
  |   </node>
  |
  |   <sub-process-binding process-state="theprocessstatename">
  |     <sub-process name="theNewSubprocess" [version="optionallyASpecificVersion"] />
  |   </sub-process-binding>
  |
  | </process-upddate>

another alternative is to keep the existing process definition format and implement a merge.   that parses the xml, analyses the changes and merges them in the deployed process.

thoughts ?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4052438#4052438

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4052438