[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss ESB] - Re: jBPM in JBossESB

bill.burke@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Mar 5 18:12:59 EST 2007

Esteban,

Have you considered at all using JBPM as a backbone for the ESB?  I see a lot of overlap/similarities between the core ESB engine and JBPM.  Maybe ESB actions could be written as JBPM nodes or actions? For instance, take a look at the Seam Drools JBPM decision handler.  Looks almost exactly the same as ESB's.  ESB's split/aggragate are similar to JBPMs fork/join.  Context variables are very analogous to a message map.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to using JBPM as the core process engine?  Here's some I thought of off the top of my head:

Advantages:
* JBPM eclipse designer
* JBPM persistence
* JBPM asynchronicity
* versioning
* richer IoC
* parameter/context mappings

Disadvantages:
* A little extra verbose for small tasks (I think this could be overcome by writing our own node type.)

I don't know, what do you think???  In the least, we should create some JBPM adapters so that ESB actions/nodes could be used as JBPM nodes/actions.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4025242#4025242

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4025242