[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBossCache] - Re: TimeoutException printing stacktraces of threads holding

galder.zamarreno@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 20 07:26:32 EST 2007

"jason.greene at jboss.com" wrote : IMO adding deadlock detection would probably help reduce the need for all the logging.

Hmmm, I'm not sure whether we're in the same page here. Let me explain:

When you get a TE, you get a stacktrace of the Thread trying to acquire the lock. If you wanna find out what the thread(s) holding the lock are doing, you have to:

1.- Enable %t in the logging pattern so that you can figure out what each thread is logging.
2.- Add trace for cache and any other application that might be using the cache, i.e. portal, hibernate, ejb3....etc
3.- Ideally, you want the customer to provide a stacktrace so that you can see where the calls are coming from. This is specially useful in situations where projects hardly have any debug or trace logging, i.e. ejb3, portal.

1 and 2 are easy to get. 3 can be a bit trickier and depends on user timing. With this post, I'm trying to make 3 more predictable.

Jason, from what I understand, a TE might not be always related to a deadlock. It could just be that the other thread is being slow.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4106345#4106345

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4106345