[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of Messaging on JBoss (Messaging/JBoss)] - Re: JBM 2.0 JDBCPersistenceManager - volunteers?

cbredesen do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 8 09:22:19 EST 2008

I agree with Anthony's assessment that using Hibernate as nothing more than a portability tool is the wrong approach.  It will certainly work, and likely work well, but we have to consider the support issues going forward when a JMS application suddenly becomes a JMS + Hibernate one.

Hibernate is a good abstraction, but it can be a bit leaky when it becomes a fundamental layer of the appserver.  We see this today with jBPM.  While you'd win in terms of ease of portability across RDBMSs, you'd potentially lose with extra complexity for JBM.

I'd have to look more at how JBM does persistence today to see what opportunities there are for improvement besides using Hibernate.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4117925#4117925

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4117925