[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss/Tomcat Integration] - Deployers conflict

deruelle_jean do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jan 23 05:24:55 EST 2008

Hi,

We are currently building a sip servlets (JSR 289) implementation that aims to be able to run both on top of Tomcat and Jboss. (available at https://sip-servlets.dev.java.net/)
Unfortunately for us, the specs mandates that compliant containers should be able to deploy sip servlets bundled as a sar archive (.sar extension, same as jboss service archive extension). A valid sar file should contain a sip.xml in its WEB-INF directory.

This requirement made me look into Jboss AS 4.2.2.GA code and I found that the current SARDeployer will accept any file with .sar extension (in its accepts method, actually through the SubDeployerSupport accepts method). However if the sar file deployed doesn't contain a META-INF/jboss-service.xml it will fail to deploy.

This prevents us to provide our custom Tomcat Deployer to deploy sip servlet archive file (sar file with a sip.xml)

We have a proposition to correct the situation so that we can use Jboss as a sip servlets converged container :

Provide an accepts method in SARDeployer that enforce checks to see if the sar file contains a META-INF/jboss-service.xml. If not the method would return false and won't accept the deployment, leaving it for our sip servlets deployer to process and accept since it will contain a sip.xml.

We might have missed something. if not, do you think that would be possible ? If so should I open an issue in JIRA or something ?

Thx.
Best regards
Jean Deruelle

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4122551#4122551