[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss ESB] - Re: StartProcessInstanceCommand: Return token id/process ins

Kevin.Conner@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 6 04:02:45 EST 2009

"apestel" wrote : When the process finishes (signal returns after couple seconds), the web app extracts the loan result from the finished jBPM process and displays it in a web page to the user.
As I said previously, return from signal guarantees nothing as far as process completion is concerned (even without ESB in the mix).

Your example above is very likely to include a remote invocation to a system run by Equifax (or one of the other agencies) and this is likely to be done over an asynchronous messaging transport if they want it to scale. (yes, I have worked for Equifax and an online bank and have written both sides of this).  This may take an indeterminate time and the jBPM processing is likely to include timeout behaviour or even human interaction depending on the circumstances.

"apestel" wrote : Would we say that is improper use of jBPM and the web app should instead signal the jBPM process in a separate thread, block the web app thread, implement the jBPM process with some sort of callback at process completion, and wait for the jBPM process to call back to the web application when it has completed so that the web application can get the jBPM process variable with the loan result and render that in the page returned to the user?

I would definitely say that taking the simple approach will not be guaranteed to work in all circumstances and that I hope they can handle this ;)

Kev

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4199692#4199692

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4199692