[jboss-dev-forums] [JBoss AS7 Development] - Re: Thoughts on ws integration

Alessio Soldano do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 16 08:14:17 EST 2010

Alessio Soldano [http://community.jboss.org/people/alessio.soldano%40jboss.com] created the discussion

"Re: Thoughts on ws integration"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/571376#571376

> Alessio Soldano wrote:
>
> > Thomas Diesler wrote:
> >
> > Alessio,
> >
> > in future we are probably going to see less deployment chains, possibly just one. The web subsystem could be enabled to setup endpoints based metadata that you attach to the DeploymentUnitContext. A (better) alternative would be that the WS DUP registers a WSService that has a dependency on some JBossWebService. When the WSService activates it uses well defined/stable API from the JBossWebService to setup a web endpoint.
> >
> > IMHO, this is generally needed because other subsystems like the OSGi  http://http://www.osgi.org/javadoc/r4v42/org/osgi/service/http/HttpService.html HttpService may also need to setup Http endpoints through API. Perhaps you can use
> >
> >  http://https://jira.jboss.org/browse/JBOSGI-308 [JBOSGI-308] Implement the HttpService ontop of JBossWeb
> >
> > as the entry point to this discussion. In short, JBossWeb would need to expose a set of well defined services that allows others to setup endpoints.
>  Yep, thanks for the reply, this alternative would be nice too...
Just to track what Thomas and me had been discussing yesterday, this alternative approach would enable us to design the AS7 integration of ws in a way such that the webservice subsystem can really expose a service for starting/stopping endpoints independently from the deployment. This would basically make  it possible to support the following usecases:
* other subsystems (osgi for instance) can rely on this ws subsystem service providing an endpoint they can depend on
* the declaration of an endpoint can become part of the domain xml, basically allowing for addition of "default" endpoints declaration to the domain

Cross link:  http://community.jboss.org/thread/158869 http://community.jboss.org/thread/158869

Message was edited by: Alessio Soldano - added link to osgi dev forum thread on the httpservice requirement

Start a new discussion in JBoss AS7 Development at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2225]