[jboss-dev-forums] [JBoss AS7 Development] - Re: Thoughts on filesystem action driven hot deployment

Max Andersen do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Nov 20 16:57:22 EST 2010

Max Andersen [http://community.jboss.org/people/max.andersen%40jboss.com] created the discussion

"Re: Thoughts on filesystem action driven hot deployment"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/572098#572098

> Jason Greene wrote:
>
> > > Max Andersen wrote:
> > >

> > > There will be flag in server configuration (TBD where exactly) to
> > > enable old style scanning for/reaction on descriptors, but will not be
> > > enabled by default. This will allow existing tooling for pre-AS7 to work sensibly.
> > This makes absolutely no sense to me. Existing tools will have to be updated anyway to deal with a different directory structure, different configuration files, and likely different jboss deployment descriptors.
>

> Tools does not need to know about different structure, configuration nor deployment descriptors to deploy.
>
> They just need to know about the destination directory - nothing else.
>

> > Assuming this wasn't an issue it's still off by default, so what's the point
> >

> The option were off by default to provide the safer "API" by default and option existed to let existing tools work with AS7...(those that works/worked with AS 3,4,5 & 6.
>
> > > *foo.war.donotdeploy* - Marker for server to ignore foo.war (used to ensure partial deployments does not happen while copying)
> > > **
> >
> > If we need this, we are better off just requiring  a .deploy marker. It's the same number of steps, and is slightly more intuitive. Note that we can actually detect partially copied zips.
> >

> you mean if the file is not properly zipped ? will you keep doing that on every rescan until it becomes complete ?
>
> can you detect these partial copied zips without locking the file ?
>

> the flag were there to have good balance between implicit and explicit control.

Start a new discussion in JBoss AS7 Development at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2225]