[jboss-dev-forums] [JBoss Web Development] - Running external app from JBOSS app?

tuishimi do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Jan 31 10:08:25 EST 2011

tuishimi [http://community.jboss.org/people/tuishimi] created the discussion

"Running external app from JBOSS app?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/584367#584367

I have a RAILS app running inside of JBOSS.

Using RAILS and ActiveRecord to upload large files is slow and timeouts occur.

I decided to [try and] use sqlldr to push these large files to the oracle database.

What works fine:

1. I can generate my upload file in a public folder under the app.
2. I can generate a valid sqlldr command string.

What doesn't work:

1. No files can be written BY sqlldr to the my web application folders.

This must be a permission problem?  But I run JBOSS (local development) under my own account.  If I run the same generated command from IRB or even just from the Windows cmd prompt it works like a charm.  But it does not even generate a log file when run from the "system" command.  The error that the ruby system command gives is a cryptic integer value that can mean a variety of things.  The return value is a simple "false" indicating failure.

So I guess my question is:

Has anyone done something like this successfully?  And can it be done?

Thank you for any help or pointers.

Start a new discussion in JBoss Web Development at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2112]