[jboss-dev-forums] [JBoss Tools Development] - How we create our update-sites? What are they? Which one you should use?

Nick Boldt do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jun 19 00:35:01 EDT 2012

Nick Boldt [https://community.jboss.org/people/nickboldt] modified the document:

"How we create our update-sites? What are they? Which one you should use?"

To view the document, visit: https://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-18462

JBoss Tools is made of a lot of plugins coming from different component, and that are aggregated for ease their installation. There are a lot of repositories. This page is intended to explain what are our repositories, what are they aimed to, and where they are coming from:

h1. General process
Here is the general process of the lifecycle of sites in the build.
*For each stream (branch or trunk) in progress*:
1. Mirror requirements and composite specific versions into a single Requirements site
2. Build all common stuff (parent, target-platforms). Publish to maven artifacts to JBoss Nexus and update sites to download.jboss.org
3. Build each component and publish to download.jboss.org
4. A *staging composite* repository is used to provide a single URL for all components' update sites
5. A *nightly snapshot* is continuously created from the composite site. It contains the latest good build of each component, including categorization & source features/plugins. A test site is also created, containing only test features/plugins.
6. After a code-freeze, the nightly snapshot is first staged as a *development milestone* and passed to QE for validation. Upon approval, it is published to www.jboss.org.
7. After several milestone and validation cycles, we publish our best *development milestone* as a *stable release*.

The same applies to SOA components. Some additional steps exist to also build JBDS site and products continuously, following the same lifecycle.

Here's a diagram which shows how all the jobs, update sites, and other artifacts co-exist:

 https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/102-18462-2-18759/HowWeBuild_Diagram.png  https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-18462-2-18759/450-428/HowWeBuild_Diagram.png
The diagram below (while out of date) provides some additional information about the process:
h2.  http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools/trunk/build/diagrams/JBDS_Aggregation.png  http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools/trunk/build/diagrams/JBDS_Aggregation.png Repositories / Update-Sites
h3. Requirements / Target-platfoms sites / Mirrors
These site are mirrors of dependencies of JBoss Tools. They are here to provide more performance and to ensure we have a backup of everything we depend on.

|| *URL* || *Name* || *Profile to activate in build* || *Performance*
 || *When to use it?
* ||
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/requirements/+<NAME>+/+<VERSION>/+ | Individual mirror | Not possible | Good | When you want to install a 3rd-party deps, and you prefer this server |
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/+<ECLIPSE_RELEASE_TRAIN>+/ | Composute requirements | Not possible, should be part of Target Platform | Bad | To build extras and target-platform site |
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/target-platform_+<NAME>+/ | Target Platform site | By default, as part of the target-platform | Good | Is a mirror of the target platform. It is used whenever you use a .target file. |

h3. JBT (non-SOA)

|| *URL
* || *Name* || *Profile to activate in build* || *Quality/Stability* || Performances || When to use it? ||
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/+<COMPONENT_JOB_NAME>+/all/repo/ | Component rep | Not possible, use composite instead | Poor | Good | When you really want the latest stuff on a single component without loosing performances |
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/_composite_/core/+<BRANCH_NAME>+ | Composite repo | -P jbosstools-nightly-composite | Poor | Poor | If you want very latest changes |
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/jbosstools-+<BRANCH_NAME>+.aggregate/all/repo/ | Aggregated snapshot repo | Not possible, use jbosstools-nightly instead | Poor | Average | NEVER. This is the temporary location of the aggregated site. It gets published to a better location afer |
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/core/+<BRANCH_NAME>+ | Aggregated snapshot repo | Currently, use -P jbosstools-staging-aggregate | Poor | Good | When you want to develop with recent version of dependencies (1 or 2 days ago). Suitable for local testing
NOTE: this is the "work in progress" final site |
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/coretests/+<BRANCH_NAME>+ | Aggegated tests | Currently, use -P jbosstools-staging-aggregate | Poor | Good | Contains tests |
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/JBossTools-+<x.y.z.q>+.core/ | Milestones | Not possible | Average | Good | Good for testing, evaluating features. Good for community contributors. |
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/development/+<TARGET_ECLIPSE_RELEASE_TRAIN>+/ | Latest Milestone | Not possible | Average | Good | Good for testing, and for building stuff on top of JBT that will be released a bit later |
| http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/stable/<TARGET_ECLIPSE_RELEASE_TRAIN>/ | Release | Not possible | Good | Good | Good for end-users |

h3. JBT SOA

|| *URL
* || *Name* || *Profile to activate in build* || *Quality/Stability* || *Performance* || *When to use it?* ||

Comment by going to Community
[https://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-18462]

Create a new document in JBoss Tools Development at Community
[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=102&containerType=14&container=2129]