[JBoss-dev] Re: JBossMQ in JBoss5

Ovidiu Feodorov ovidiu at jboss.org
Sat Sep 16 05:30:31 EDT 2006

Adrian Brock wrote:
> Encouragement is fine.
> But telling a contributor that his work is useless is not.

Actually, if Elias would be willing to port the functionality to
Messaging, his help would be greatly appreciated. We need that
functionality, we currently have only rudiments of it. The task is
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBMESSAGING-127

> On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 17:58 +0000, Andrig T Miller wrote:
>
>>      On the topic of JBossMQ still being in AS 5, I was not aware that
>> that was an official decision.  If that is the case, that decision
>> needs to be revisted, in my opinion.  I see no reason to have both
>> code bases in AS 5, considering that customers application code is not
>> affected by the change, only server configuration.  I would rather see
>> us take a little time to develop a conversion utility for the
>> migration of the configuration between the two, as part of our
>> productizing AS 5 and JBoss Messaging, then see us support the old
>> code base.

An argument against this approach is that users will be indirectly
"encouraged" to migrate to Messaging if they don't find JBossMQ in the
new JBoss 5 distribution. The deployment descriptor conversion is a
relatively easy problem. Migration of the persisted messages would
require a little bit more work, but it's not a difficult issue either.
However, maintaining JBossMQ as an option in JBoss 5 is not a big deal,
as Adrian pointed out.