[JBoss-dev] RE: Logging changes in head - and missing commit e-mails

Sacha Labourey sacha.labourey.ml at jboss.org
Wed Sep 20 10:42:26 EDT 2006

> Removing the server info logging like JVM version is very
> annoying as well.

Not sure I agree. Look at the code:

      log.info("Java version: " +
      System.getProperty("java.version") + "," +
      System.getProperty("java.vendor"));

      log.info("Java VM: " +
      System.getProperty("java.vm.name") + " " +
      System.getProperty("java.vm.version") + "," +
      System.getProperty("java.vm.vendor"));

I've only changed the first one, not the second one. Let me know if, with
any JVM you tried, the second output (i.e. java.vm.* vs. Java.*) doesn't
display the information you need. They are just pure overlap IMO. On my
laptop for example:

java.version: 1.5.0_06
java.vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.

java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.vm.version: 1.5.0_06-b05
java.vm.vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.

I've kept the logging of the second block at the INFO level.

> In production most people will run with at least INFO filter
> so this information is lost.

See above

> I want to know what people actually used, not what they think
> they used. :-)

I agree, see above.