[JBoss-dev] House keeping in JIRA - bug reports

Adrian Brock adrian_brock at jboss.org
Fri Sep 22 10:55:51 EDT 2006

Until JBoss-4.0.4 I made a regular check of JIRA
using two queries. After that release as an experiment
I stopped doing it to see what kind of state we would be in
by the 4.0.5 release.

Bugs without fix versions:
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12310183

All bugs should either be
* assigned to the currently being worked on release
* deferred to a later release
* closed as not bugs or incomplete description

Bugs should never be left unscheduled.

Bugs without components:
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12310202

Which probably means that nobody has even looked at them.

It is very important that for each release we have analysed all bugs
and decided their importance.

61 bugs that are not scheduled (i.e. importance undetermined)
11 bugs without components (not even validated at the most basic level)

is not good!

Just choosing one at random (the oldest one with "affects 4.0.4")
falls into both categories. There is no evidence it was ever looked at:
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-3406
It was raised on the 20th of July (over two months ago).

Obviously, the user doesn't consider a MalformedObjectName
exception as telling him the format is invalid nor
has he read the javadoc for that class which links
him to valid query formats. :-)

So this is obviously a trival "user friendly" bug
where an invalid name should forward to a page
explaining the ObjectName format.
--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock