[JBoss-dev] House keeping in JIRA - bug reports

Adrian Brock adrian_brock at jboss.org
Fri Sep 29 08:29:12 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 13:08 -0600, Andrig T Miller wrote:
>      Having them unscheduled doesn't hid them under any rug.  They are
> just as visible in JIRA.

And just as unprocessed as when we used sourceforge and nobody
was trying to monitor the problem.

> > Assigning to a release, forces somebody to remove
> > them from that release. So they are least looked at.
>
>       All it really does is force someone to go into JIRA and change
> the fix version, not to actually evaluate the issue.

That just comes down to how good a project lead you are.
If you are continually bumping problems to the next release
then we have to ask what are you doing?

> To really solve this, is we need a formal review process.  It doesn't
> matter whether something is assigned to a release or not.  We have to
> have formal, mandatory review as a team.

I'm a great believer that you cannot replace human intervention
with automation when it comes to effective management.

But the person that manages things needs to have reasonable metrics.
Forcing people to go through a process of review (even if it is
just bumping it to the next release) gives an indicator
of how much on top of the problems we are.

Rather than the current situation, where we don't have a clue
what is getting reviewed, because according to JIRA it is nothing!

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock