[jboss-dev] JBoss Messaging - to scope or not to scope

Tim Fox tim.fox at jboss.com
Wed Apr 11 07:50:42 EDT 2007

A major issue that is currently providing a barrier to adoption for
JBoss Messaging and generally becoming a usability nightmare, is that
JBoss Messaging depends on versions of JBoss Remoting and JBoss AOP that
are more recent than those available in JBoss AS.

This means when deploying JBM in the AS, the deployment has to be done
as a scoped deployment in its own classloading domain. This also means
that in some situations the entire MDB container needs to be scoped too.

There is also a related problem that EJB3 (Carlo - may have fixed this
recently) was using a different version of remoting to JBM causing them
not to be able to work in the same client at the same time, - and of
course scoping is not available on the client side.

In short, scoping is a massive PITA for us. It contributes a huge number
of support cases and forum queries since average Joe has great diffculty
in working out how to do it.

I would really love to get rid of the requirement to scope JBM
altogether - this would give a massive boost to the project IMHO.

How can we do this though?

If we can ensure that the latest versions of AOP and Remoting are
backward compatible with early versions then surely we can just
overwrite the earlier versions in the AS when JBM is installed.

Tom, Kabir can you comment on whether this is possible or desirable?

If the versions are not compatible, how difficult would it be to make a
few changes to remoting and aop to make them backward compatible?

It's my understanding, that in AS 4.x it's only JBM, EJB3 and WS that
use remoting, and only JBM that uses AOP - please correct me if I am wrong.

(BTW scoping is not an issue in JBAS5 since we will align dependencies)

What are people's views on this?

Are there any issues I have not considered?

Can anyone think of any other solution?

--
Tim Fox
JBoss Messaging Project Lead
E: tim.fox at jboss.com tim.fox at redhat.com

Street, Windsor, Berkshire,
SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in UK under Company Registration No. 3798903
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA) and David
Owens (Ireland)