[jboss-dev] jboss i18n and localization (l10n)

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 14:26:19 EDT 2007

Steve Ebersole wrote:
>> what is Gettext?Xliff?
> These are things the doc team keep mentioning to me.  They are meant for full
> blown translations as in docs.  They seem total overkill for this, especially
> the PO stuff.  Java internationalization (no idea about this IBM stuff) is
> based on already externalized strings kept in a file separate from the code
> for easy translation.

GNU Gettext is a portable localization API. It's main advantage over
Java i8ln is that it can handle the plural form problem.

For example:
System.out.println(num + " file(s) changed");

This doesn't map well to other languages because many of them have
different rules for plurals (some have as many as 3 with a special form
for zero).

--
Jason T. Greene
Lead, POJO Cache