[jboss-dev] JBossAS Branch_4_2 freeze

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 10:12:43 EDT 2007

The community version of JBossAS 4.2.0.GA has been out for more than a month now with around
59000 downloads and a relative small number of problems compared to the number of changes
and component updates that took place.

Since then we have been working on further stabilizing Branch_4_2 in preparation for the
JBoss Enterprise Application Platform edition, which has already forked off to its own branch.

At this point Branch_4_2 should be considered frozen. Please don't commit stuff until the
upcoming community 4.2.1.GA release on July/18th. Only the blocker issues (currently a
couple of missing tests) should make it into the branch.

Specifically:
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4441 - missing test (Scott)
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4488 - missing test (Adrian)
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4481 - Gavin to verify it can be closed

Going forward, remember that we are trying to enforce the rule that only bug fixes make it
into point releases. So no new features or API changes should make it in the 4.2 branch, and
that includes all thirdparty and jboss components. Ideally, a users should be able to
replace a JBossAS 4.2.0 with a 4.2.2 and everything should just work.

Finally, when making changes to any AS branches, make sure you use linked JBAS tasks to
track those changes. I'm seeing all sorts of JBCTS, JBPAPP, SECURITY, AOP, etc. identifiers.
The problem with those is we cannot make release notes, so we don't know what goes into a
release.

Cheers
/Dimitris