[jboss-dev] org.jboss.test.util.test.ThreadPoolRunnableUnitTestCase

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Fri Mar 23 07:21:54 EDT 2007

After a painful investigation I traced that the failing test is caused by the replacement of
     <componentref name="oswego-concurrent" version="1.3.4"/>
with
     <componentref name="oswego-concurrent" version="1.3.4-brew"/>

The 2 are supposed to only differ in that the 2nd is compiled with debug=on.

JBoss uses a thread pool, that lives in jboss common and is backed by a
EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor.

The test that fails involves a queued task and a thread pool of size 1, executing a spinning
task. The spining tasks times out, is initially interrupted and then Thread.stopped().

In my understanding the original oswego jar makes the stopped pooled thread available to the
queued task. In the debug version the pool thread seems to hung and so the remaining queued
task is not executed, and the test fails.

I don't have the time to go deeper, so I'm just rolling back the update.

I would recommend that any brew replacements must - at a mininum - make sure they don't
alter the testsuite status.