[jboss-dev] Object lock contention in JNDI lookup of transaction and proposed change to jndi naming service...

Scott Marlow scott.marlow.opensource at gmail.com
Thu May 10 09:35:59 EDT 2007

Hi,

A while back I measured the object lock contention in a JBoss AS 4.0.4
environment.  I noticed a lot of time spent waiting for the internal
JNDI collection lock.  I think this is worth creating a Jira for and
solving with a swego concurrentHashMap based collection (or
java.util.concurrent when we use java5 as a base).  Of course the actual
contention is app specific but I started thinking about solving it.

Is this worth pursuing?  I'll create a jira and make code changes for it
(I might need some help running the J2EE compatibility tests).  Clearly,
we want to pass the unit tests as well (thats an assumed requirement).

Thoughts?

Scott