[jboss-dev] Remoting 3.0

Scott M Stark sstark at redhat.com
Thu May 24 11:07:23 EDT 2007

The main problem for me with the TowardsGreaterSymmetryInRemoting page
is that its not talking about a base asynch message oriented
architecture. Much of the current asymmetry's is due to the rpc oriented
api. If you flip this around to have a base asynch message view, all
communication is handling of these messages. RPC with callbacks is
setting up blocking message handlers. Symmetry from a higher level
Client api is also not a requirement in my view. By definition a
callback is an unpredictable event/out of band msg with respect to some
rpc call returning a value. The use of client and server are also by
definition asymmetric and map to msg senders/receivers. We need to start
from the bottom and move back up to the rpc api in order to be able to
talk about what the 3.0 version of Client should look like.

The architecture also needs to be layered such that you can plug into
low level message creation for the case of needing to control the on the
wire format of these messages.

We are brining on the MINA lead, Trustin Lee, so we will need to look at
how