[jboss-dev] Apologize (was Usecase xml ...)

Ke Jin kejin at pocomatic.com
Mon Nov 19 01:20:23 EST 2007

On Thu Nov 15 12:43:18 EST 2007, Adrian wrote:
> I saw somebody just "discovered the idea" and called it
> the high sounding title "Domain Specific Modelling for IOC"
> http://www.pocomatic.com/docs/whitepapers/dsm/
>
> Except it uses xslt, yuck!
> We've being doing that with our datasources for 4 years. :-)

Adrian, it is my article.

Firstly, I apologize that my article wasted your precious time.

Secondly, I never claimed this was a "just discovered idea", not even the word "discovered". Instead, I put it very clear that this is similar to the C++ #define marco or Lisp defmacro expression. Both of them have been used for decades. Even exactly within the area of IoC frameworks, I knew JICE has already supported the similar thing for years. Even for ourselves, our first implementation supporting this model transformation on top of a third party Java IoC container (either Spring or JBoss Microcontainer) was released a year ago (PocoCapsule for Java, Sept-25 2006). If we intended to claim this as a "just discovered idea", we would have claimed it last year instead of waiting almost 14 months. Therefore, in the TSS news post (most people found my article from thsi post), I used the term "plain-old" to describe this approach, instead of a "just discovered idea".

Thirdly, for the title, it is "DSM *in* IoC", not *for* IoC. I think this title precisely points out what this scenario is really about, what vision I intend to emphasize (namely "domain-specific modeling"), what opinion I have on the "annotation vs XML" issue, and also where we go beyond our predecessors'. We do not stop at using this approach as merely a configuration simplification method (as in JICE) or migration method (as BEA's jboss descriptors to weblogic migration tool) or a code generation tools (as many CASE or DSM design tools). Please read the discussion/examples of "framework of frameworks" in my article. Certainly, I would like to hear your suggestion on what would be an appropriate title.

Fourthly, for using the XSLT, please read my post and article closely (pay attention to "higher order transformation"). The XSLT is just used as the core schema for model transformation, because it is standardized and ubiquitous (therefore, would be easy for third party support). None-XSLT transformation stylesheet schema can certainly be supported, and already supported by PocoCapsule for C++.

Sincerely,
Ke